"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!" -Jack Kerouac

Thursday, September 18, 2008

part__iv_four

I'm realizing more and more with each day, how great this job is, and is going to be. Yesterday, some sponsors came in to talk to us about a campaign we'll be participating in. The sponsor was CPB, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. They helped explain what Public Broadcasting is and why it's so essential to our society as a whole. 

Frankly I've never thought about why public radio, or public television is so important. There was a strange sensation listening to all of this be explained to me having grown up on a good amount of public broadcasting. Like a lot of children, who's parents didn't believe in cable, PBS was the staple of my childhood. Everyone remembers Arthur, Lamb Chops, Sesame Street, Bob Ross Paints, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Mr. Rogers, Wishbone, Magic Schoolbus, Reading Rainbow, and the Antique Roadshow. And at the end of all of those shows the tag-line, "This show is made possible by the Corporation of Public Broadcasting, and viewers like you." Now being an adult, I find there are still facets of my life where public broadcasting has played a massive role. Whether it's my obsession with This American Life, or the fact that I have a job now with a series made possible only by PBS. Either way it really made me realize that public broadcasting is so important for our country, to receive news, entertainment, music, etc. from a source that is not controlled by the agendas of a media corporation or commercial empire. It made me realize how pro-public broadcasting I am, or should be. 

On another note, today, we learn how to operate cameras. What is my life?

No comments: