"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!" -Jack Kerouac

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

part__ix_nine

WEST COAST PHENOMENON (a new series of interesting insights into West Coast culture)

Can we just talk about a West Coast phenomenon right now?

Since being out on the West Coast there has definitely been a bit of a learning curve as far as adjusting to the West Coast culture. It's almost unexplainable, and I've been trying to think of specific examples, but there is simply an underlying realm of the world that I simply know very little about because I didn't grow up on the West Coast. 

Todays topic of interest: FISH TACOS
Shortly after arriving in Orange County, I began noticing several Mexican food places (obviously) several of which specialize in fish tacos. Each time I passed these establishments, and read the words "fish taco" I got a weird feeling inside and was uneasy the rest of the day. Not even in my wildest of dreams and most imaginative of imaginations could I have placed a fish inside a taco. Nor would I have thought that a fish would ever desire to be inside a taco. Over and over, this affliction plagued me, until one fateful Thursday. Not just any ol' Thursday though, $1 Fish Taco Thursdays. It happened, we went to lunch at Taco Mesa and I had, count em, not one, not two, but three fish tacos. I just manned up and looked my fear in the eyes and put down those three fish tacos so hard. 

Lo and behold, they were not bad, in fact, they were good. Needless to say, I rest a lot easier living in the OC now. And every time I pass a fish taco joint, I don't feel so weird. I just look at myself and remember, that if a fish never wanted to be in a taco in the first place, then it never would have been assumed that they were not something I, too, wanted. 

No comments: