"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!" -Jack Kerouac

Saturday, September 13, 2008

part__i_one

Here is the synopsis of the next two months of my life. I most likely will not repeat this, and will continue to blog as if you've already read this, and know what's going on. So be forewarned. But not forlorned. Thank you.

Being in LA all summer, I met several people, one of whom was Jason Manion. He is a friend of my sister, as well as one of her artistic cohorts. Jason works for an organization called Roadtrip Nation. And this is where it all started. Obviously I was hanging out a lot with my sisters friends, because I had no friends of my own. So, naturally, Jason was one of these people. And after we had successfully won each others hearts, Jason found it apropos to ask me about a job opportunity with the Roadtrip Nation. 

Roadtrip Nation is an PBS documentary series, and a grassroots organization. It started with four friends graduating college and entering the inevitable, and all too cliche, "what now?" phase of life. In attempts to remedy this, they proceeded to jump in an old RV and travel around the country in order to see if other peoples stories could possibly help them learn their own. They set up interviews with all sorts of people from CEO's, to celebrities, and those less glorified individuals that are simply successful in their own right. They compiled film of both these interviews and of their own journey as they attempted to find some answers to their ever-pressing questions. Thus, the PBS series began. They now host trip for students and post-graduates to travel and collect their own "success" stories. 

My official role for the next few months is going to be roadie. However, it's not a roadie as you would typically think of it. Our role is mainly to function as a form of publicity, as our events will be focused at college campuses across the country. I will be in a team of four, two girls, two guys. And we will be in a huge green RV traveling across the country. From the West Coast here in Costa Mesa, to the East Coast, and then back to the West Coast. As for actual routes, I have no clue as to what specific roads we are to take. 

The first two or three weeks we will be here in Costa Mesa training in the office, attempting to learn how to drive the green giant, among other things I'm sure. Then, the beginning of October, we are on the road. I'm not sure what exactly I'm getting myself into, but I'm sure that if I'm going to do something like this, that this is the most time-appropriate time I could dream up. I am at a perfect halfway mark in my "higher" education with my Associates Degree in the most impressive General Studies. I have no one that needs me anywhere, no job that I am indispensable to. There simply is not one excuse or obstacle keeping me from this. And that, for what it's worth, is my best attempt at justifying the next few months of my life. As if it needs justifying. 

Learning everything is my goal. Extreme attentiveness, the means by which I will achieve the goal. And simple recklessness because I can, and just because I'm 21. 





1 comment:

Katie said...

A little jealous. I like being tied down, mind you, to Elliott. But still, just a little jealous.