"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!" -Jack Kerouac

Sunday, September 21, 2008

part__vi_six

I took a trip this weekend. From Santa Ana to Los Angeles. Having no car put me in somewhat of a predicament. Then I realized, "Why the hell fire and damnation don't I just take public transportation?" So then I did. 

A 47 mile trip took roughly four and a half hours, and a combination of only two buses, a train, and a bit of walking. 

Normally this trip, done in a car would take about an hour, and be quite a non-event, simply speeding along the highways. Nothing great to see, no one to interact with or watch along the way. Granted if you don't have time on your hands, public transportation is somewhat of a joke; but if you do, its brilliant. 

The first bus I got on was the 57 at the corner of Bristol and Sergerstrom. This bus ride took about 45 minutes. The bus cost $1.25, and I paid in quarters. As I began to look around, I realized that I am literally the only caucasian on the bus. An interesting anthropological fact indeed. Then just when I thought it couldn't get any better, sure enough, we took a turn on a little road called Memory Lane. Literally. Click the link. Now. I'm not lying. Seriously.

That bus took me to Anaheim where I walked toward the Anaheim Amtrak station. On the way was a Starbucks, so naturally, I stopped to get a little something. A young woman was behind the counter, and we struck up a conversation about something or other, and sure enough, one thing led to another, and yes...she did give me my coffee for free. And I know what you're thinking, and no, I did not ask for her hand in marriage. Anyways, I reached the station and realized that I had just missed a train, and had to wait an hour for the next one. Luckily there were some interesting characters to keep me company. 

There was nowhere to sit on the train so I just found a wall to lean against and observe the surroundings. An old man sitting and talking to anyone and everyone that accidentally makes the slightest bit of eye contact with him. The Asian teenager shamelessly popping and locking to his portable compact disc player. Or the painfully awkward college freshman attempting to strike up the most forced conversation ever...with me. Most forced conversation of my life, and no doubt, hers too.  But, honestly, that was the only thing making the conversation interesting, so I reveled in it. 

The train got me to downtown LA, Union Station. From there I hopped on a bus that took me practically to my brother's front door. It was a long ride, so I listened to Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? by Metric, and read some of Jack Kerouac's On the Road. And four and a half hours later I was eating some Pad Thai with my family.  

Mostly this trip made me wonder why on earth I've waited this long to do this kind of stuff. Really a mystery. But you know what they say: better late than never. There is something extremely liberating about traveling long distances on nothing but your feet and the reliability of some public transportation. I saved money, and helped the environment just to put the cherry on top of this delightful journey. I plan on traveling like this more often when I can. 



No comments: